Zarina Holmes is a documentary photographer, photo editor and video journalist who has worked for news, publishing and advertising channels. She currently teaches photography at City Academy UK.
From 2001-2008 she was Creative Editor and Staff Photographer at BMI Publishing for magazines and online titles for tourism offices worldwide. She was also commissioning photo editor and photojournalist for Onboard Hospitality magazine, reporting on product news in Europe and SE Asia regions. She had worked travel guides for destinations such as Thailand, Malaysia, Dubai, Caribbean, China, Taiwan, Tunisa, Abu Dhabi, Ireland, California, Mauritius and Flybe inflight magazine.
From 2008-2010 she was Travel Editor for OptimistWorld.com. In 2006 she co-founded an opinion-leading visual journalism collective Sojournposse. which is a partner of London Design Festival since 2009. Zarina is also an Art Director at Zarina Holmes Studio, producing brand identity, advertising and editorial design, campaigns and videos for consumer and corporate sectors.
Apart from photography education, Zarina also teaches multimedia reporting and coordinate digital storytelling training workshops.
MA Design (Brand Extension) from Middlesex University, London.
BA in Art & Design (Major in Graphic Design & Advertising, Minor in Photography) from UiTM, Malaysia.
BTEC Documentary Filmmaking & Video Production for Multimedia from Kensington & Chelsea College, London.
Creative Editor, Photo Editor and Staff Photographer at BMI Publishing, publisher of travel magazines and online titles for travel brands and tourism offices worldwide. Commissioning photo editor and photojournalist for Onboard Hospitality magazine, official journal for International Travel Catering Association. Reporting on product innovation news in Europe and SE Asia regions.
Co-founded Sojournposse with editor/photojournalist Salina Christmas.
• Exhibiting photographer for “East Meets West” for Nissan Design Europe at London Design Festival 2009. Creative director of collective exhibition.
• Exhibiting photographer for “One Thousand and One Nights” at The Situation Modern, London. Curated by Graham Phoenix.
• Exhibiting photographer for Colleccion Medio Pliego / Luneados / Sojournposse publication. Multimedia showcase in Cordoba, Spain.
• Guest speaker “Digital Craftsmanship” at Digital Storytelling’10 Conference by Not On The Wires & BBC College of Journalism, South Bank University, London.
• Producer “Aesthetics As A Means To Heal” for Sojournposse at London Design Festival 2010. Guest speakers from Medicins Sans Frontieres UK, duckrabbit, Being In Rhythm and 3G Doctor with Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Supported by Department of Anthropology, University College London.
• Photojournalism and digital journalism consultant. Style.Uz Art & Fashion Week, Uzbekistan. Commission for The British Council’s New Silk Road Programme. Partnership of Not On The Wires & Sojournposse.
• Interactive Guest and photojournalism showcase for BBC World Service (Uzbek & Central Asia). Topic: Media censorship in Central Asia and stereotype of Asian females in Western media.
• Producer “Whatever is to become of books?” event for Sojournposse Multimedia at London Design Festival 2011 at Gustave Tuck Lecture Theatre, UCL. Guest speakers The British Library, Oxford International Centre of Publishing, Blurb Books, Bonnier Technology MagPlus, Photo Book Club, The Comics Grid, The Ballet Bag and Not on The Wires. Supported by Department of Anthropology, University College London.
• Media partner of Kuala Lumpur International Photography Award 2012.
• Photography workshop trainer with Explorenation at Lim Kok Wing University, London.
• Press photographer at London Fashion Week A/W 2012.
• Press photographer and video journalist for CAFOD’s Thirst For Change campaign.
• Visual communications facilitator for NCS Redbridge multi-faiths youth summer camp.
• Photography tutor and programme coordinator for City Academy UK, London.
• Founder and Photographer at GLUE, a cycling lifestyle blog.
• Founder at Holmes cc, product graphic design and cycling apparel studio.
• One of panel judges at Kuala Lumpur International Photography Award 2013.
Present: Owner of Zarina Holmes Studio, producer of graphic design, photography and infographics.